Helping children and families
St. Luke’s Certified Child Life Specialists help children and families cope with the stress and uncertainty of acute and chronic illness, injury, trauma, disability, loss and bereavement. They provide evidence-based, developmentally and psychologically appropriate interventions including therapeutic play, preparation for procedures, and education to reduce fear, anxiety, and pain.
- Prepare children for medical procedures or treatment using developmentally appropriate language and education
- Introduce coping strategies to reduce anxiety and enhance cooperation with the health care team
- Provide support and distraction during medical procedures
- Offer opportunities for play and expressive activities to encourage normal development and processing of challenging experiences
- Promote family-centered care by providing information, advocacy and support to siblings and families of pediatric patients
When to contact Child Life Services
- Preparing for a procedure
- Your child is experiencing difficulty coping with a procedure
- Child or his/her sibling expresses fears or concerns
- Child is having difficulty taking medication
- A new diagnosis of a chronic illness
- Injuries resulting from a traumatic accident
- A parent or sibling has a serious or terminal condition
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has endorsed the important role of the Certified Child Life Specialist, and U.S. News & World Report has recognized that expertise in child life is a vital variable in the success of pediatric care.
Need more information?
For questions or to request Child Life Services for your child, contact any member of your healthcare team. Contact us to learn more
St. Luke's inpatient care locations
St. Luke's inpatient hospitals are conveniently located near you.
St. Luke's University Hospital - Bethlehem Campus
801 Ostrum Street
Bethlehem, PA 18015
St. Luke's Hospital - Allentown Campus
1736 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18104
St. Luke's Hospital - Anderson Campus
1872 St. Luke's Boulevard
Easton, PA 18045
St. Luke's Hospital - Upper Bucks Campus
3000 St. Luke's Drive
Quakertown, PA 18951
Our Inpatient Pediatric Unit, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and Surgical Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) are located at St. Luke's Bethlehem Campus. We have additional NICU's at St. Luke's Allentown, Anderson and Upper Bucks Campuses.
Call us at 866-STLUKES (785-8537), or contact us for more information.