For over 50 years, St. Luke’s has employed Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) including nurse practitioners and physician assistants. Advanced Practitioners play an integral role on our care teams by providing high-quality, cost-effective care to patients through interdisciplinary team collaboration that results in excellent patient care and satisfying patient experiences.
St. Luke’s employs over 650 nurse practitioner and physician assistants, with an established department of advanced practice that has a dedicated leadership structure, which includes an emeritus chair of advanced practice, chair of advanced practice, vice chair of advanced practice, advanced practice senior managers, advanced practice managers and advanced practice leads.
Additionally, St. Luke’s has a dedicated leadership council to support and advance the practice of Advanced Practitioners within our organization.
APPs practice in nearly all clinical areas including, but not limited to:
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine
- Hospitalist Medicine
- Medicine subspecialties
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Primary Care
- Surgery and surgical subspecialties
- Urgent Care
The Department of Advanced Practice takes a multi-pronged approach in advancing professional development and engagement of nurse practitioners and physician assistants throughout St. Luke’s. Some of the department’s main goals:
- Work closely with human resources to help craft recruitment programs and support outreach activities to various educational institutions and professional organizations
- Develop educational strategies for new advanced practice providers, as well as professional training and leadership-building opportunities for practicing nurse practitioners and physician assistant at St. Luke’s
- Maintain professional relationships with various nurse practitioner and physician assistant academic programs to help facilitate student clinical education opportunities at St. Luke’s University Health Network
- Develop collaborative practice models by implementing innovative and progressive health care delivery models
- Provides operational support to the various practice settings, in regards to:
- Scope of practice
- Documentation and Billing
- Advanced Practice staffing and utilization strategies