Surgical Technologist at St. Luke’s an Important Member of the Surgery Team
801 Ostrum Street
Bethlehem, PA 18015
The Surgical Technologist is an integral member of the surgical team who works under the supervision of the surgeon, anesthesiologist and registered nurse to meet the health care needs of the surgical patient. The program emphasizes the scrub role during surgery.
Surgical technology education is a developmental process which is designed to provide the student with fundamental abilities to assume his/her role in meeting the health care needs of the surgical patient. Competencies, attitudes and values are developed through strategies which integrate knowledge and application of principles into practice. Individualized learning experiences are designed to promote professional and personal growth. This growth process is enhanced through the utilization of adult learning principles and the maintenance of an environment of mutual respect. The outcome of the education program is to prepare the person to earn credentialing through passing a nationally administered certification exam.
The Surgical Technology program faculty have a responsibility to provide quality education to its students. Current clinical practice and knowledge of surgical technology along with ongoing development of communication and teaching skills are essential to meeting this responsibility.
Objectives of the Surgical Technology Program at St. Luke’s
Upon successful completion of the program, the surgical technologist is prepared for entry level positions in hospital operating room departments, obstetrical departments, sterile processing departments, ambulatory surgery centers and surgeon office practices. A certificate is awarded to the student on completion of the program.
The Surgical Technology Program at St. Luke’s:
- Evaluates student and patient outcomes;
- Provides specialized surgical care with knowledge and pride in an environment conducive to education, self-esteem, comradery, and respect for ourselves and others;
- Provides a supportive atmosphere by caring for students, faculty, patients and each other;
- Promotes accountability by encouraging professional behavior and attitudes;
- Provides optimal patient outcomes through clinical activities, utilizing preceptor and a team concept resulting in safe, efficient, and cost effective care.
The Surgical Technology Program will prepare practitioners who will provide efficient and quality care to the perioperative patient in a cost-effective manner.