What is a Brazilian butt lift?
Brazilian butt lift surgery—or BBL surgery—improves the appearance of your butt by reshaping your waist, hips, and lower back. During this procedure, your surgeon will start by removing excess fat from the targeted area. Then the fat is inserted via butt injections.
This procedure may be part of a tummy tuck or lower body lift. In many cases, the excess fat used for butt injections will come from another area of your body. As a result, BBL surgery can improve the aesthetic of your entire lower body.
If you want to learn more about BBL surgery—or schedule a consultation with a BBL surgeon in the Lehigh Valley—then contact St. Luke’s Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
Brazilian butt lift candidates include adults with the following characteristics:
- Lost skin elasticity in the butt area
- Flabby, dimpled, or crinkled thighs
- Fat stores in other areas to use for injections
Additionally, a Brazilian butt lift can address a flat backside—which some adults are genetically predisposed to. Surgery may be the only option to achieve rounder buttocks in these cases.
Schedule a consultation with a St. Luke’s BBL surgeon in the Lehigh Valley to determine if a Brazilian butt lift is right for you.
Getting a Brazilian butt lift can positively impact your wellbeing and self-confidence. The following list includes some of the most commonly reported benefits:
- Enhances the lower body’s natural curves
- Reduces fat on your thighs, belly, or hips
- Rounds your butt for a more natural, aesthetically pleasing appearance
- Balances your figure to make clothes fit more comfortably
- Removes excess sagging and shapelessness
Having a Brazilian butt lift can lead to more natural-looking results because it doesn’t involve silicone butt implants.
As with all surgeries, a Brazilian butt lift has risks. Some of them include the following:
- Accumulating fluid
- Numbness or tingling
Your surgeon will review a complete list of risks before getting your consent.
Before the procedure
In the time leading up to your Brazilian butt lift at St. Luke’s Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, you can take steps to make your procedure as safe as possible. These include discussing the following topics at your surgical consultation:
- Goals and expectations
- Surgical options
As part of your consultation, your surgeon will also do a complete evaluation—which may include the following items:
- Ordering lab work
- Taking “before” photos for comparison
- Assessing medical conditions, allergies, and medical limitations
- Reviewing medications, supplements, alcohol, tobacco, or drug use
A week before the procedure, you can prepare at home in the following ways:
- Filling outstanding prescriptions
- Purchasing any medical supplies as needed
- Coordinating transportation and meals as needed
- Staying hydrated
You should arrive early on the day of your procedure to avoid travel delays.
During the procedure
Heart shapeHeart-shaped buttocks can help you achieve a traditional hourglass silhouette. The technique for this shape will ensure that your buttocks have enough volume to create gentle curves in your hips. If your buttocks are naturally shaped this way, then BBL surgery can make your buttocks perkier.
Round or bubble shapeRound- or bubble-shaped buttocks create a more dramatic aesthetic than a heart shape. The technique for this BBL surgery results in significant additional volume, especially in the upper and middle of your buttocks—creating the signature “bubble” look.
Plus sizeA plus-size Brazilian butt lift is ideal for patients with a higher body mass index (BMI). This procedure uses liposuction to remove fat from your abdomen, resulting in a smaller waistline. Many plus-size patients require less fat injected into their buttocks because liposuction can make the lower body look more balanced.
After the procedure
You’ll have a smoother, rounder butt almost immediately. You’ll also experience swelling, bruising, and mild pain. But after several weeks, your pain should decrease, and your incision scar will start to fade.
Though some minor sagging and volume loss may happen over time, a Brazilian butt lift typically lasts for many years. However, it’s essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle—including a stable weight—during and after your recovery. Doing so will help prolong your results by preserving the fat tissue.
Your St. Luke’s BBL surgeon will customize your procedure based on your desired treatment results. The typical recovery milestones include the following:
- One to five days after surgery: Your incisions will be covered, and you’ll feel mild to moderate pain. You can take prescription or over-the-counter pain medication to treat this discomfort. Additionally, your surgeon will recommend a special pillow to keep pressure off your buttocks. You’ll also have compression garments to reduce swelling and support skin tightening.
- Two to three weeks after surgery: You should use scar cream, silicone sheeting, and massages to promote healing. Your pain and swelling should have decreased significantly, but you may still have minor swelling. As a result, you’ll continue using the compression garment and buttocks pillow. You should be careful when sitting or lying down for an extended period.
- Four to five weeks after surgery: You can resume light exercise—but should avoid heavy weights. Though your pain should be almost gone, you may still experience slight discomfort or tenderness.
- Six weeks after surgery: You’ll see more final liposuction results and fat grafts. You shouldn’t experience discomfort or pain—so your surgeon will likely clear you for lower-body exercise.