St. Luke’s University Health Network and Geisinger Sign Agreement
August 31, 2016
St. Luke’s University Health Network and Geisinger Sign Agreement
Bethlehem, PA (8/24/2016) — Officials at St. Luke’s University Health Network, Geisinger Health System and Geisinger Health Plan today announced the signing of a Master Collaboration Agreement. The collaboration will take advantage of the collective strengths of St. Luke’s and Geisinger to further improve access to affordable and high quality healthcare to people living in nearly 50 counties in Pennsylvania.
David T. Feinberg, MD, MBA, (left), president and EDO of Geisinger Health System, shakes hands with Richard A. Anderson, MPH, president and EDO of St. Luke’s University Health Network, on Aug. 31, 2016, the day the two announced a master collaboration agreement that provides affordable, high quality health care.
“When you get to the heart of it, we are two organizations focused on taking the best care of patients and we’re excited to partner with a healthcare system that aligns with our vision and values,” said David T. Feinberg, M.D., MBA, President and CEO of Geisinger Health System. “Geisinger is thrilled to expand the scope of our relationship with St. Luke’s to advance population health, improve quality and provide better access to care.”
St. Luke’s, a nationally-recognized healthcare system, provides services at six (soon to be seven) hospitals and more than 270 sites, primarily in Lehigh, Northampton, Carbon, Schuylkill, Bucks, Montgomery, Berks and Monroe counties in Pennsylvania and Warren County, New Jersey. It is the only health system in the Lehigh Valley recently recognized by the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services with a stellar four-star rating.
Geisinger, viewed as a national model in providing both high-quality and cost-effective medical care, provides services at 12 hospital campuses and 350 sites throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Geisinger Health Plan, rated among the top health plans in the nation, has more than 551,000 members in 43 counties throughout central and northeast Pennsylvania.*
“We have earned a reputation as a high quality provider of healthcare services delivered at the lowest cost in the region,” said Richard A. Anderson, President and CEO of St. Luke’s University Health Network. “This collaboration and partnership with Geisinger creates enormous opportunities to enhance preventive health services and improve the health of the growing number of people who depend on St. Luke’s for their care.”
The objectives of the collaboration include:
• Sharing knowledge and experience related to population health and innovation around new value-based payment models.
• The introduction of a Medicare Advantage product to be sponsored by the two health systems for Medicare recipients across the Lehigh Valley. This insurance plan’s objective is to offer improved management of chronic conditions and health outcomes and enhanced access to services not covered under traditional Medicare and Medigap plans.
• St. Luke’s 10,000 plus employees and their dependents will also become members of Geisinger Health Plan on January 1, 2017 and will allow St. Luke’s to save $500,000 annually. Geisinger Health Plan currently provides the management of pharmacy services to St. Luke’s employees.
• The relationship will also provide opportunities to benefit commercial and employer groups in the region.
“In this ever-evolving healthcare environment, our goal is to provide better care and better value for patients. We do this by collaborating with physicians and healthcare systems,” said Steven Youso, president and CEO, Geisinger Health Plan. “We expect this collaboration to help us fulfill that commitment even further for those we serve.”
About St. Luke’sFounded in 1872, St. Luke’s University Health Network (SLUHN) is a non-profit, regional, fully integrated and nationally recognized network providing services at six, soon to be seven, hospitals and more than 270 outpatient sites. The network’s service area includes Lehigh, Northampton, Carbon, and Schuylkill, Bucks, Montgomery, Berks and Monroe counties in Pennsylvania and in Warren County in New Jersey. Dedicated to advancing health education, St. Luke’s operates the nation’s oldest School of Nursing and 22 graduate medical educational programs and is considered a major teaching hospital, the only one in the region. In partnership with Temple University, St. Luke’s created the region’s first Medical School. Repeatedly, including 2016, St. Luke’s has earned Truven’s Top 100 Major Teaching Hospital designation as well as Top 50 Cardiovascular program in addition to other honors for clinical excellence. St. Luke’s is a multi-year recipient of the Most Wired award recognizing the breadth of St. Luke’s information technology applications such as electronic medical records, telehealth, online scheduling and pricing information. St. Luke’s is also recognized as one of the state’s lowest cost providers in comparison to major teaching hospitals and other health systems.
About GeisingerGeisinger Health System is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator® and ProvenCare®. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania, and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of AtlantiCare, a National Malcolm Baldrige Award recipient. The physician-led system is comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 12 hospital campuses, two research centers and a 551,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $10.5 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economy. Geisinger has repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or follow the latest Geisinger news and more on Twitter and Facebook.
Mariella B. Miller
Senior Director, Corporate Communications
St. Luke's University Health Network
For more information about St. Luke’s services or to find a physician, call St. Luke’s InfoLink toll-free at
1-866-STLUKES (785-8537) Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm or email us anytime at Info.Link@sluhn.org.
*NCQA’s Private and Medicare Health Insurance Plan Ratings 2015-2016. Geisinger Health Plan’s PPO is listed in NCQA Health Insurance Plan Ratings under Geisinger Quality Options. Geisinger Gold HMO is listed in NCQA Health Insurance Plan Ratings under Geisinger Health Plan.
St Lukes Geisinger news coverage
- The Morning Call: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-st-lukes-geisinger-20160831-story.html
- Lehigh Valley Live: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/08/st_lukes-geisinger_partnership.html#incart_river_home
- Lehigh Valley Business: http://www.lvb.com/article/20160831/LVB01/160839952/st-lukes-geisinger-sign-collaboration-agreement-to-share-health-insurance-plans
- WFMZ: http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/st-lukes-health-network-and-geisinger-health-system-team-up/41459338
- Times News, Tamaqua: http://www.tnonline.com/2016/sep/01/st-luke%E2%80%99s-university-health-network-geisinger-sign-agreement
- Pocono Record: http://www.tnonline.com/2016/sep/01/st-luke%E2%80%99s-university-health-network-geisinger-sign-agreement
- WBRE: http://www.pahomepage.com/news/geisinger-and-st-lukes-form-partnership
- WNEP: http://wnep.com/2016/08/31/geisinger-st-lukes-announce-partnership/
- Press Enterprise, Bloomsburg: http://www.pressenterpriseonline.com/daily/090116/page/1/story/geisinger-st-lukes-partnering
- WKOK NewsRadio, Sunbury: http://wkok.com/geisinger-and-st-lukes-university-health-network-sign-agreement/
- Sunbury Daily Item: http://www.dailyitem.com/news/geisinger-and-st-luke-s-university-health-network-sign-agreement/article_c1895cf6-6fb9-11e6-88f3-1371cd72163e.html
- Republican Herald, Pottsville: http://republicanherald.com/news/st-luke-s-and-geisinger-collaborate-to-improve-health-care-access-1.2085687
- The Intelligencer, Bucks County: http://www.theintell.com/news/local/st-luke-s-geisinger-to-collaborate-offer-new-medicare-health/article_4e50dc6a-6fd1-11e6-b9b4-77e7fd57da7c.html
- NEPA Buzz.com, Scranton and Poconos http://www.nepabuzz.com/2016/08/31/geisinger-st-lukes-announce-partnership/
- Centre Daily Times, State College: http://www.centredaily.com/news/state/pennsylvania/article99221257.html
- The Bradford Era, Bradford County, PA: http://www.bradfordera.com/news/state/st-luke-s-hospital-network-to-team-with-geisinger-health/article_bd8cd33b-211b-5144-b19c-c0b0ba2063e7.html
- The Progress, Clearfield PA: http://www.theprogressnews.com/news/state/st-luke-s-hospital-network-to-team-with-geisinger-health/article_95879556-ae8b-5d41-a3ae-99c6066c7f82.html
- Roanoke (VA) Times: http://www.roanoke.com/news/virginia/wire/st-luke-s-hospital-network-to-team-with-geisinger-health/article_ccbad810-488f-525b-b21e-6c3d5fa4c93d.html
- The West Plains (MO) Daily Quill: http://www.westplainsdailyquill.net/national_news/article_2bf1f48b-7241-54f4-88f7-5122970c4bc0.html
- Pomona (CA) News: http://pomonacanews.com/dnews/article/St-Lukes-Geisinger-sign-collaboration-agreement-groundwork-place-potential-merger
- Clay Center (Kansas) Dispatch: http://www.ccenterdispatch.com/news/state/article_b3b47caf-5b06-50d2-a295-cdac0f6cc344.html
- Healthcare Industry Today: http://health.einnews.com/article__detail/342631268-st-luke-s-geisinger-partnership-aims-to-stem-rising-health-care-costs?vcode=XIbw
- All4healthcare.com, a blog: http://all4healthcare.blogspot.com/2016/08/st-lukes-geisinger-sign-collaboration.html
- The Daily Progress, Charlottesville, VA: http://www.dailyprogress.com/st-luke-s-hospital-network-to-team-with-geisinger-health/article_16d09a57-75a6-515e-8121-8138ca7f46b3.html
- Theeagle.com, Bryan-College Station, Texas: http://www.theeagle.com/news/nation/st-luke-s-hospital-network-to-team-with-geisinger-health/article_7e4bfc80-5720-5bc9-9894-2510960edfb6.html
- PR Newswire: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/st-lukes-university-health-network-and-geisinger-sign-agreement-300320890.html