New Direction Program
New Direction Program is a comprehensive, multidisciplinary 12-week program designed for individuals who desire a non-surgical option for significant weight loss. The New Direction Program is a safe and effective weight loss system utilizing qualified health professionals to assist you in reaching your goals. Patients benefit from one-one time with weight loss experts like physicians, registered dietitians, behavioral health specialist and exercise physiologists, along with the group support of weekly classes.
- Rapid weight loss of 2-5 pounds a week
- Option to use medically formulated, low calorie, low carbohydrate, high protein meal replacements providing 100% of the recommended daily allowance for 24 vitamins and minerals
- Weekly group educational classes focusing on nutrition, exercise, and behavior changes
- Weekly weight and blood pressure checks
- Initial meal planning session with body composition and metabolism test performed by registered dietitian
- Initial behavioral health assessment performed by behavioral health specialist
- Fitness assessment and program design performed by exercise physiologist
- Maintenance program to help you keep off the weight
New Direction Meal Replacement Plans
There are two types of meal replacement plans in the New Directions Program: Low Calorie Diet (LCD) or Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD).
LCD (Low Calorie Diet)
- Medically supervised 1000-1200 calorie diet
- Moderate weight loss of 2-3 pounds a week
- Patient consumes 2-3 meal replacements daily along with a 300-400 calorie meal
- Use of meal replacements makes it easier to lose weight than using all regular food
VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet)
- Medically supervised 800-900 calorie diet
- Aggressive weight loss of 3-5 pounds a week for woman and 4-7 pounds for men
- Ketogenic program utilizing 4 meal replacements as sole source of nutrition
- Due to the rapid weight loss this plan offers, continuous medical monitoring is an important aspect of this weight loss plan
- During the active weight loss phase, regular lab work is required
- Initial appointment with a physician to determine if patient is medically eligible to begin program.
- Option to consume 3-4 high quality protein meal replacements daily in addition to a sensible meal
- Attend weekly educational classes and weigh-ins
- Attend one-on-one sessions with registered dietitian and behavioral health specialist
- Patients gradually transition from meal replacements to a balanced diet. A registered dietitian guides this phase and additional behavioral support is available during this time.
- Option to attend weekly classes or monthly one on one sessions with health care providers
- Continue to use tools and knowledge gained from the reducing and transition phases and gather nutrition, behavior and exercise skills needed for continued weight loss and maintenance.
Monthly Medical Weight Management
This program is designed for the individual who wants to lose weight on their own with the guidance and support of medical professionals.
- Initial evaluation and consultation with our bariatrician (a physician specializing in the treatment of obesity and obesity-related disorders).
- Physician will then recommend a customized meal plan based on results of evaluations and tests. Weight loss medication is available if appropriate.
- Registered dietitian and behavioral health specialist available to help with meal planning and compliance.
More questions? Feel free to call St. Luke's Weight Management Center at 484-426-2600 and select the medical weight management or non-surgical prompt.