Emergency Department Nurse Internship
Our Emergency Department Nurse Internship is a full time, intensive program designed to provide graduate and registered nurses with a structured orientation to the fast-paced Emergency Department environment. This blended educational program utilizes education provided through the Emergency Nurses Association (ENA) to enhance the nurses independent practice in the Emergency arena at St. Luke’s University Health Network.
The Emergency Department Nurse Internship is conducted at various sites within the St. Luke’s University Health Network.
Upon successful completion of the Emergency Department Nurse Internship Program, the select RN's will begin an exciting career in emergency services for St. Luke’s University Health Network.
Why Choose Us
- Program Outcomes
- Multiple methods of education utilized in order to assist each learner:
- Computer Based Training
- Clinical Preceptorship
- Interns progress through 4 phases of orientation until they are a competent ED RN.
- Bidrectional feedback tool utilized on weekly basis to allow both learner and preceptor the opportunity to give and receive feedback. Provides the opportunity for open dialogue, self-assessment and accountability.
- Curriculum developed to incorporate multiple specialty observations and collaborations. For example, interns are provided additional simulation experiences regarding:
- OBGYN Emergencies
- Behavioral Health Emergencies
- Specialty specific experiences included:
- Community based EMS ride along
- Respiratory Therapy
- Critical Care observations
- Community based pediatric experiences
- High fidelity simulation seminar experiences
- Documentation workshops to enhance the Electronic Medical Record (EMR)
- Microsoft Teams incorporated throughout program to enhance resources and collaboration
- Professional development reviewed and leadership skills enhanced during Internship
- All assignments and education provided during working hours
- Develop nursing qualities inherent to emergency nursing as they pertain to the standard nursing process.
- Apply learned knowledge and skills to emergency nursing practice utilizing Patricia Benner’s from Novice to Expert.
- Utilize emergency nursing principles to promote patient safety and high-quality outcomes as they pertain to the St Luke’s University Health Network mission, philosophy, and standards of patient care.
- Develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to function as a competent ED nurse upon completion utilizing cognitive, psychomotor, and affective domains of learning.
- Developing and incorporating evidence-based projects into patient care to improve ED outcomes and quality of care.
- Apply leadership and professionalism skills that are obtained through fellowship curriculum to nursing practice.
Clinical Educators & Leadership
Heather Assise, MSN, RN
Brittanie Olsen, MSN, RN, TCRN
Resources & Support
- Emergency Nurses Association https://www.ena.org/
Ideal candidates for application to the St. Luke’s Emergency Department RN Internship Program are:
- Complete an application by hitting the Apply Now
- Search for R052469
- The interview process may include a Panel Interview & Shadow Experience
- If selected, candidates will sign a commitment agreement