OB-Gyn Care Associates of St. Luke’s
OB-Gyn Care Associates of St. Luke's
- Pre-conception counseling
- Infertility counseling
- Prenatal care, delivery and post partum care
- Prenatal testing and bloodwork
- Female endocrinology
- Adult, adolescent and pediatric gynecology
- High-risk pregnancy care
- Gynecologic care including advanced laparascopy
- Menopausal care
- In-office sterilization and ablation
We appreciate the importance of your time and will make every effort to honor your scheduled appointment time. However, we ask for your understanding if uncontrollable delays occur. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please notify us at least 24 hours in advance.
OB/GYN Care Associates understands that the birth of a baby is one of the most meaningful events a family can experience. We offer complete prenatal care, delivery and post partum care, including ultrasounds, nonstress tests, prenatal bloodwork and biophysical profiles.
In the first weeks of your pregnancy, you wil lbe scheduled for a visit with our OB nurse who will take a complete medical history; provide you with information on obstetrical anesthesia, natural childbirth, labor, delivery and breastfeeding; discuss physical and emotional changes you can expect and explain to you the schedule of office visits you will have during your pregnancy. She will also help you complete the necessary paperwork for our office and the hospital.
Once you have met with the OB nurse, you will be scheduled for your first pre-natal appointment with one of our obstetricians. You will then have regular appointments with the physicians for the entire length of your pregnancy. An ultrasound is usually scheduled around week 20 of your pregnancy in order to view fetal development. In the final weeks of your pregnancy you will see the physician on a weekly basis up until delivery.
OB/GYN Care Associates encourages you to take advantage of the videotapes and reading materials that are available to you throughout your pregnancy. Please feel free to ask to view them anytime you visit our office.
While we do not practice general medicine, we will handle most medical problems during your pregnancy or make referrals for problems outside our areas of specialty. We are happy to answer any questions or concerns that you may have, and we encourage active participation of the baby's father.
In order to monitor your health, we recommend an annual comprehensive examination, including a discussion with your physician, pelvic exam and Pap smear, breast exam, blood pressure evaluation, check of weight and height, appropriate laboratory testing and self-breast examination instruction. Our physicians follow the American Cancer Society guidelines for mammograms.
Fees, Payment and Insurance
We participate in most insurance and managed care plans. Please bring your insurance card to your appointment. Insurance companies are billed directly for office procedures. You will be responsible for any copays or co-insurance balances. You will be asked to sign an authorization for payment of services to be made directly to our office.
For obstetrical and surgical patients, our billing office will contact your insurance company for verification of your coverage and precertification requirements.
If we do not participate in your insurance plan, you are responsible for payment at the time of your visit. We accept payments as cash, check, MasterCard, Visa or Discover Card, and a receipt will be provided. Our billing office can be reached by dialing 484-526-6049.
When you call the office, our nursing staff will address general questions or concerns, including prescription refills. If a nurse is unavailable when you call, she will return your call within the same day. When calling for prescription refills, please have your pharmacy name and phone number available. Please allow 48 hours for prescription refills to be called in by our office.
A physician is available to assist you in an emergency 24-hours-a-day. If you have an emergency or health concern that arises during the day, please contact our office immediately. Please provide your name and a description of the emergency. If an emergency arises at night or during the weekend, please call our office number and the physician on-call will be contacted.
Note: If you believe any delay in medical attention could result in a life-threatening situation, please go immediately to the nearest emergency room for treatment and notify our office as soon as you are able.
About our Providers
Jami Avellini, MD
More about Dr. Avellini
- Serves as Director of Gynecology at St. Luke’s Allentown Campus
- Received undergraduate degree from The George Washington University majoring in Spanish, language & literature, Pre-Med concentration and minor in Business Administration
- Earned medical degree from Ross University School of Medicine – Dominica, West Indies
- Completed residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at St. Luke’s University Health Network
- Board certified by the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Memberships with Pennsylvania Medical Society and the Lehigh County Medical Society
- Blue Ribbon Award recipient for research in urinary frequency and urge incontinence in young women
Waleska Cancel-Kenyon, MD
More about Dr. Cancel-Kenyon
- Received undergraduate degree in biology from University of Puerto Rico – San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Earned medical degree from Ponce School of Medicine in Ponce, Puerto Rico
- 2012 – 2013 Chief Resident for OB/GYN at St. Luke’s University Health Network
- Board certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Member of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, American Medical Association and the Puerto Rico Medical Association
Thuy Ngo, MD
More about Dr. Ngo
- Received undergraduate degree from the University of Maryland in general biology
- Earned medical degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Completed internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology with Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Board certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Member of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Gynecology Surgery Society, Pennsylvania Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology, American Medical Association – Medical Student Chapter, and American Medical Women’s Association – Medical Student Chapter
John Stevens, DO
More about Dr. Stevens
- Serves as the Chairman of the Obstetrics/Gynecology Department at St. Luke's Allentown Campus
- Received undergraduate and graduate degrees in pharmacy from Temple University
- Earned medical degree from Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Board certified by the American Osteopathic Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Served as the Chairman of the Obstetrics/Gynecology Department at St. Luke's Hospital - Allentown Campus
Mary Spengler, CRNP
- Received undergraduate degree from the University of Massachusetts in nursing
- Graduate of Mount Sinai Hospital’s Nurse Practitioner OB/GYN program
- Earned a Masters degree in nursing with a certificate as a Family Health Nurse Practitioner from DeSales University
- Board certified as a Nurse Practitioner in women’s healthcare and as Nurse Practitioner in family health
- Member of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health, Pennsylvania Coalition of Nurse Practitioners and Sigma Theta Tau international honor society of nursing
- Serves as an associate professor for DeSales University as preceptor for nurse practitioner students