St Lukes Miners Hospital Cares for Kids 5K Contributes to Community Health Programs
St. Luke's Miners Hospital Cares for Kids 5K Contributes to Community Health Programs
Coaldale, PA (9/27/2013) – St. Luke's Miners Hospital will hold their its inaugural Cares for Kids 5K & Fun Run/Walk event on October 5, 2013. The event will kick off at 9 am with the 5K (3.2 mile) run/walk looping starting at the Lansford Pool, looping past the Miners Hospital campus and returning to the starting point.
The event was organized to raise awareness and funds for the hospital's community health programs. St. Luke's Miners Hospital Community Health Initiative supports families in Carbon and Schuylkill counties with the following programs:
- St. Luke's Health Star Vans provide dental, vision and health services at schools and community locations to help patients—especially children—who have difficulty accessing important health services.
- Literacy initiatives Reading Rocks! and Reach Out and Read help improve literacy in the community as early childhood literacy rates and health outcomes are correlated, according to national data.
- Certified Diabetes Education Center provides specialized education help to patients and their families manage diabetes.
- Tobacco Cessation Treatment Center helps local people quit smoking cigarettes, as well as other tobacco products.
- Community Outreach including Live Your Life© – a public campaign to promote healthy living and health tips—a new health tip and corresponding activity each month offers information about how to incorporate positive changes for healthier families.
- Registered Nurse Health Navigator Services for local Community Safety Initiative to promote safe and healthy living.
- Healthy Homes© inspections to help residents identify health-risk factors in their homes like mold, unsafe conditions and offer easy steps to improve the home's physical environment – the goal is to improve health outcomes for children.
In addition, the event helps to promote active lifestyles and supports the "Get Your Tail on the Trail" program initiated earlier this year in partnership with Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor (D&L). The program includes a 165-mile challenge aimed at increasing health awareness and improving the health status of the community through activity and exercise. To learn more about the D&L “Get Your Tail on the Trail” program, visit http://tailonthetrail.org .
For details or to register for the Cares for Kids 5K & Fun Run/Walk, visit http://www.sluhn.org/Classes-Events/Cares-Kids-5K-Run or call St. Luke's InfoLink at 1-866-STLUKES (785-8537).
St. Luke's Miners Hospital is a fully accredited, not-for-profit, 44-bed acute care hospital located in Coaldale. Accredited by The Joint Commission, St. Luke's Miners Hospital provides a wide variety of health care services. The hospital is affiliated with the nationally recognized St. Luke's University Health Network and currently provides health care services to more than 15,000 people annually. Additional on-site services include a home health agency and a 48-bed skilled nursing facility.
Director, Media Relations
St. Luke's University Health Network