About St Lukes School of Nursing
About St. Luke's School of Nursing
St. Luke’s Hospital was the fourth hospital in the country to operate a school for nurses. Today St. Luke’s School of Nursing is the nation’s oldest hospital-based, diploma school in continuous operation.
The school became a reality in 1884 when Dr. William Estes appointed Miss M. J. Merritt from Bellevue Hospital, New York, as principal of the nursing school. Nine students formed the first class.
The reputation of the school flourished during the 1920s and 30s. During World War II, St. Luke’s School of Nursing was approved for the Cadet Nurse Corps program. In 1962, the school was awarded full accreditation from the National League for Nursing. Beginning in 1969, college credits were added to the curriculum.
Today, these college credits in science and liberal arts are prerequisites to entering the nursing program. The School of Nursing is approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing and was fully reaccredited in 2005 by the National League for Nursing, Accrediting Commission (now the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). In April 2014, ACEN granted the School of Nursing continuing accreditation for eight years, with conditions; with a follow-up report due in 2016.
About 45 students graduate every eight months. Most recent graduation classes have first-time pass rates on the NCLEX-RN® licensure exam of 93% to 96%, above both the state and national average for all types of RN programs. 94% of graduates have been hired as RNs by six months after graduation.
For additional information, see the following contact information:
State Board of Nursing
P.O. Box 2649
Harrisburg , PA 17105-2649
Learn about the accreditation status of St. Luke's School of Nursing on the ACEN web site and go to "ACEN Accredited Nursing Programs" in the upper left or call or write:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.
3433 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30326
Learn more about St. Luke’s University Health Network.