Support St. Luke's Cancer Connection
Easy and Fun - Fundraising Ideas
- Do you want to make a difference in the fight against cancer in your community?
- Do you want to support local cancer programs and research initiatives?
You can make a BIG DIFFERENCE, even if you're short on time.
- Make Your Wedding Make a Difference
- "Absolutely Bakeless" Bake Sale
- Dress Down and Donate
- Yard Sale
- "Coffee" Fundraiser
- Gourmet Dessert Extravaganza
Make Your Wedding Make a Difference
One soon-to-be-married couple decided that they wanted to make a donation to St. Luke's Cancer Center in lieu of favors for their wedding guests. Since both had lost loved ones to cancer, they decided it would be a more meaningful gesture to have the money that the bride’s parents would have spent on favors donated to their local Cancer Center. Cards were placed at each guest’s seat sharing what they had done.
The "Absolutely Bakeless"
Bake Sale Fundraiser
Don't take a single step into the kitchen! Just send this invitation to your family and friends, along with a stamped, pre-addressed envelope to:
St. Luke's Cancer Connection
c/o St. Luke's Cancer Center
801 Ostrum Street
Bethlehem, PA 18015
You are invited...
You are invited to NOT bake a cake, pie, cookies, or brownies.
You do NOT have to find the recipe.
You do NOT have to shop for the ingredients.
You do NOT have to mix.
You do NOT have to cook.
You do NOT have to cut.
You do NOT have to wrap.
You do NOT have to wash dishes or clean up your kitchen.
You do NOT have to deliver the baked product.
You do NOT have to stand in the heat/cold/rain to sell the baked product.
But you CAN write a check for $10 (or any other gift you may want to consider) to St. Luke's Cancer Connection. Your gift will support cancer initiatives right here in our community. Send your tax-deductible donation in the enclosed stamped, self-addressed envelope.
Through your gift, you CAN enjoy doing something for yourself or with your family knowing that you have made a difference in the fight against cancer!
Dress Down and Donate
Organize a jeans or casual dress day at your workplace. Encourage co-workers to donate a small amount (as little as $5) in exchange for dressing down for the day.
Choose to make this an ongoing fundraiser (Dress Down Friday, for example). Let your co-workers know that their donations are making a difference in the fight against cancer through the St. Luke's Cancer Connection.
This is a win/win event – you get rid of your clutter and raise money for the St. Luke's Cancer Connection. You also can ask friends, neighbors, co-workers, and others to donate stuff (old furniture, appliances, kitchenware, clothes, coats, toys, books and other items). Chances are they will be happy to rid themselves of a few items – especially if they know it is for the fight against cancer. You also can coordinate a multi-family yard sale, with multiple families on the same street holding yard sales on the same day.
Advertise the yard sale in your local newspaper. Post flyers in your neighborhood as a yard sale to benefit the St. Luke's Cancer Connection. Make sure you have signs at the sale itself reminding people about the cause. If you are raising money in somebody's memory or honor, you may want to include a photo or photo collage of that person to add a more personal touch. You also can place a donation jar out for people who would like to help the cause but are not going to purchase anything. Make it a festive atmosphere with balloons and music (CDs or radio).
Don't be afraid to price items generously – people tend to try to bargain prices down. Hopefully, since they know the proceeds are going to charity, they will not try to bargain too much. Remember, even inexpensive items will help profit your cause.
Pre-print "thank you" receipts for your customers that provide information about the St. Luke's Cancer Connection and how their support of your yard sale will make a difference in the fight against cancer.
This is one of the most fun and easiest fundraisers around! Invite no more than 10 people in a formal or informal gathering at your home or favorite setting and serve coffee, tea and some treats. Plan to invite guests just after lunch or after dinner.
- Greet guests as they arrive.
- Serve coffee, tea and snacks
- Make introductions. As an ice breaker, ask each one to share what they know about St. Luke's Hospital & Health Network and/or the St. Luke's Cancer Connection.
- Share your personal story and why you are involved in the St. Luke's Cancer Connection, and that this coffee was organized to share information and gather donor support.
- Hand out pledge cards and pre-stamped envelopes, as well as information on joining the St. Luke's Cancer Connection. Mention that you as the host will make a contribution and will include it with the total that they generate at this coffee event. Mention that they may make a donation in honor of a friend or family member who is fighting cancer or who has lost their battle with cancer. Fill out your pledge card in front of your guests and place it in an envelope. They should begin to follow suit.
- Ask if there are any questions and answer them to the best of your ability.
- Collect the envelopes and mention that they will receive a receipt for tax purposes in the mail or by e-mail.
- Thank each donor for coming and tell them how much their support is appreciated.
- After the event, mail the envelopes to the St. Luke's Cancer Connection. You will be notified of the total amount raised through your "Coffee."
- Send a personal thank you note to each guest on your personal stationary telling them how much you enjoyed their company and fellowship. You also can share the total amount that was raised for the St. Luke's Cancer Connection n at the "Coffee."
Gourmet Dessert Extravaganza
A Dessert Extravaganza is an event where your guests are asked to donate $15 to $20 per plate to get a taste of exotic and unique desserts.
Start looking for chefs, bakeries and restaurants at least six months prior to your planned date. Start with local upscale restaurants. Ask the owner or head chef to donate their specialty desserts and to attend the event so that your guests can meet them. They can, in turn, invite your guests back to their restaurant for another taste – this time for the profit of the restaurant. For this reason, many restaurants will pull out all the stops to offer the very best that their restaurant have to offer.
Plan to have desserts displayed on covered tables lining the interior of a large room. Have a placard on each with the dessert name, restaurant name, key ingredients and chef's name. The fancier in appearance, the better.
Send your guests home with information about the St. Luke's Cancer Connection and how their participation in your Dessert Extravaganza will make a difference in the fight against cancer.
Questions or Suggestions About Fundraising?
If you have any questions about how to organize these personal fundraising opportunities to benefit St. Luke's Cancer Connection or have suggestions for other fun, easy fundraisers, please contact Gail Evans, Development Office at St. Luke's Hospital by phone at 484-526-2640 or by email at email@example.com.